1. Open web browser and connect to https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/patch#search
2. If you do not have a VMware account you will be required to make one. After creating your VMware account, log in.
3. Select ESXi version 5.5 and download the latest patch
4. By default the ssh server is shutdown on ESXi. Connect to the ESXi server with the vSphere client. Under Inventory select the ESXi host, then the configuration tab. Select Security Profile, then select the properties of Services. Enable the SSH client
5. Connect to the ESXi server via your favorite Secure Copy program, I currently use WinSCP. Upload 5.5-5.5_update02.zip file to the ESXi server
6. Right click the ESXi host and put it in maintenance mode, this will migrate all Guest VMs off of the host. If you are running stand alone instance as I am, you will be required to shut all VM’s down.
7. Connect to the ESXi server using putty.exe or another ssh client.
Run the ESXi upgrade
esxcli software vib update -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/ISOs/update-from-esxi 5.5-5.5_update02.zip
7. Reboot the ESXi Server